Thursday, December 4, 2014

Conservation of Momentum Problems

Today we just worked on various conservation of momentum problems. Whatever you didn't finish in class is homework and the whole thing is due tomorrow.

Chapter 6 (p.192) #21, 22, 25, 26, 27, 33, 37, 40, 41

I also checked your Ballistic Pendulum labs while you were working.

Finally, does anyone have an old egg or two? I want to do a demonstration tomorrow but I don't eat eggs so I don't have any on hand and I don't want to buy a whole container of eggs if I can avoid it. You might even get them back...maybe :)

EDIT: First period convinced me that we should do the egg drop project, so we're going to need 40 eggs total. If you bring an egg, write your name and period on it and you can use it for your project.

The goal will be to keep an egg from breaking when it is dropped from the visitors' bleachers. We'll have your modular day to build it, drop it, and write an explanation (using physics) about why your egg survived (or didn't). You can use anything you want except parachutes. The group whose egg survives with the lightest mass contraption (weighed with the egg inside) wins a prize (snack).

I have only limited supplies (pipe insulation, one bag of cotton balls, some quilt batting) so I ask that groups gather and bring their own supplies so that only the students that truly cannot afford it can use my stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment