Wednesday, March 25, 2020

3-25 Update

Hello again everyone! I don't have a lot for you today. Keep on sending me those labs from before break and requests for tests at lisa.volkening@tusd1.org or miss.volkening@gmail.com.

I ran my first Zoom meeting for office hours today. A few people asked physics questions, but mostly we all chatted. Please remember that the Zoom meetings are COMPLETELY VOLUNTARY. I am treating them like office hours in college - they are a time when professors are in their offices, and you can just walk in and ask them things. So my Zoom meetings are times when you can hop into Zoom, ask me things, then leave again. Or you can hang out and talk to whoever is there. Just remember that I am recording the Zoom meetings, and if I figure out how I will also post them.

I am still adding content to the electricity unit remote learning page. I don't have anything more fully completed yet, just bits and pieces as I find them.

Here are some questions I heard today that I can answer:


  • How do the online assessments work? Are there due dates?
The online assessments are like homework. There will be one for each content topic - it is a link to a Google form. You can repeat any assessment as many times as you want, and although there is a "suggested due date" I will not count anything late, ever. So complete them at your own pace, whenever you want, but do them in order. Again, I only have one up right now.
  • Will there be a unit test?
Yes, but it will pretty much work exactly like the little "homework" assignments I just described. You can even repeat it.

  • Will there be a final?
If we don't go back to school at all, yes, there will be an online, cumulative final, but it will be OPTIONAL. You would only take it if you thought it would help your grade.

And finally, during the Zoom office hour today, some of you extracted a promise from me to post a picture of one of my cats whenever I made a blog entry, so here you go. This is Charlie, who currently has a little spot on his elbow that needs to heal, so he is wearing the Donut of Shame to keep him from licking it. Have a great rest of your day.


No comments:

Post a Comment